Followed by WHAT FIGTREELIVE.COM THINKS
By Vicki After Discussion with Helen Pensanti, MD
HORMONE PELLET THERAPY
- Hello, I’m Dr. Rebecca Glaser. This presentation on ‘Pellets’ will discuss a ‘method of delivery’ of hormones that is not well known, or rather, not well ‘remembered’ in the United States. Hopefully, by the end of the presentation you will realize that hormone replacement with pellets is the “Ultimate Hormone Therapy”.
- Hormone pellets are the best, most natural way to deliver hormones in both men and women. Implants, placed under the skin, consistently release small, physiologic doses of bio-identical hormones providing optimal therapy.
- What are Pellets? Pellets are made up of either estradiol or testosterone. The hormones, estradiol or testosterone, are pressed or fused into very small solid cylinders. These pellets are larger than a grain of rice and smaller than a ‘Tic Tac’. In the United States, pellets are made by a compounding pharmacist and delivered in sterile glass vials.
- Why pellets? Pellets deliver consistent, healthy levels of hormones for 4-6 months. They avoid the fluctuations, or ups and downs, of hormone levels seen with every other method of delivery. It is the fluctuation in hormones that causes many of the unwanted side effects and symptoms a patient experiences. Estrogen delivered by subcutaneous pellets, maintains the normal ratio of estradiol to estrone. This is important for optimal health and disease prevention. Pellets do not increase the risk of blood clots like conventional or synthetic hormone replacement therapy.
- In studies, when compared to conventional hormone replacement therapy, pellets have been shown to be superior for relief of menopausal symptoms, maintenance of bone density, restoration of sleep patterns, improvement in sex drive, libido, sexual response and performance. Even patients who have failed other types of hormone therapy have a very high success rate with pellets. In addition, there is no other method of hormone delivery that is as convenient for the patient as pellets.
- Pellets have been used in both men and women since the late 1930’s. In fact, there is more data to support the use of pellets than any other method of delivery of hormones.
- How and where do you insert pellets? The insertion of pellets is a simple, relatively painless procedure done under local anesthesia. The pellets are usually inserted in the lower abdominal wall or hip through a small incision which is taped closed. Experience of the health care professional counts, not only in placing the pellets, but in determining the correct dosage of hormones to be used.
- Complications from the insertion of pellets include minor bleeding, bruising, discoloration of the skin, infection, and possible extrusion of the pellet. Other than slight bruising, or discoloration of the skin these complications are very rare. Vigorous physical activity is avoided for 48 hours in women and up to 5 to 7 days in men. Antibiotics may be given if a patient is diabetic or has had a joint replaced.
- You may wonder why you haven’t heard of pellets. Pellets are not patented and not marketed in the United States. They are frequently used in Europe and Australia where pharmaceutical companies produce pellets. Most of the research on pellets is out of England and Australia with some from Germany and the Netherlands. Pellets were frequently used in the United States from about 1940 through the late 70’s, early 80’s when patented estrogens were marketed to the public. In fact, some of the most exciting data on hormone implants in breast cancer patients is out of the United States. Even in United Stated there are clinics that specialize in the use of pellets for hormone therapy.
- If your health care practitioner says that there is no data to support the use of pellets, he or she is wrong. There is a big difference between ‘no data’ and not having read the data.
- Likewise, many patients have been told by their physicians, that there is ‘no data to support bio-identical hormone therapy’. It is much easier for busy practitioners to say this and dismiss the patient, than it is to question their beliefs and do the research.
- Remember, it’s your body, it’s your choice. It is about how you want to feel.
- After pellets are inserted, patients may notice that they have more energy, sleep better and feel happier. Muscle mass and bone density will increase while fatty tissue decreases. Patients may notice increased strength, co-ordination and physical performance. They may see an improvement in skin tone and hair texture. Concentration and memory may improve as will overall physical and sexual health.
- Pellets do not have the same risk of breast cancer as high doses of oral estrogens, like Premarin, that do not maintain the correct estrogen ratio or hormone metabolites. Nor, do they increase the risk of breast cancer like the synthetic, chemical progestins used in the Women’s Health Initiative Trial. In fact, data supports that balanced hormones are breast protective.
- When a patient first starts hormone therapy there may be mild, temporary breast tenderness which gets better on its own. Hormone receptors may be very sensitive and take time to adjust. There may be a temporary water weight gain which will also resolve on its own. The body will tone up, as bone density and muscle mass increase and fatty tissue decreases.
- Some patients begin to ‘feel better’ within 24-48 hours while others may take a week or two to notice a difference.
- The pellets usually last between 4 and 5 months in women and 5-6 months in men.
- The pellets do not need to be removed. They completely dissolve on their own.
- Pellets are an excellent way to deliver testosterone in men, providing consistent levels of testosterone while maintaining normal estrogen levels.
- Any time estradiol is prescribed, progesterone is also prescribed. There are progesterone (not progestin) receptors in the bone, brain, heart, breast and uterus. Progesterone can be used as a topical cream, a vaginal cream, oral capsule, or sublingual drops or capsules. If a patient is pre-menopausal she uses the progesterone the last two weeks of the menstrual cycle.
- Hormone therapy with pellets is not just used for menopause. Women at any age may experience hormone imbalance. Levels decline or fluctuate contributing to debilitating symptoms. Pellets are useful in severe PMS, post partum depression, menstrual or migraine headaches, and sleeping disorders. Pellets may also be used to treat hormone deficiencies caused by the birth control pill.
- Hormone levels will be drawn and evaluated before therapy is started. This will include a FSH, estradiol, testosterone and free testosterone for women. Men need a PSA, estradiol, free estradiol, testosterone and possibly estrone prior to starting therapy. Levels will be reevaluated during hormone therapy at 4-6 weeks and again in 4-5 months. After the first years of therapy hormones levels are followed less frequently. The PSA in men is followed every 6-12 months.
- Testosterone levels begin to decline in men beginning in their 30’s. Most men maintain adequate levels of testosterone into their mid 40’s to mid 50’s, some into their late 70’s early 80’s. Men should be tested when they begin to show signs of testosterone deficiency. Even men in their 30’s can be testosterone deficient and show signs of bone loss. Most men need to be tested around 50 years of age. It is never too late to benefit from hormone therapy.
- The cost for the insertion of pellets is between $230 and $600 depending on the dose of the hormone and the number of pellets needed. Men need a much larger dose of testosterone than women and the cost is higher. Pellets need to be inserted 2 to 3 times a year depending on how rapidly a patient metabolizes hormones.
- When compared to the cost of drugs to treat the individual symptoms of hormone decline, pellets are very cost effective. There is more data on pellets and bone density than any chemical drug on the market. This slide only addresses the cost of medications used for bone density. It is beyond the scope of this presentation to examine the cost of drugs used for insomnia, depression, sexual dysfunction, obesity, diabetes, hypertension and more.
- Some insurance companies cover the cost of pellets, others do not. Most physicians require payment for their services. Patients may want to contact their insurance companies to see if their costs will be reimbursed. Preventions is must more cost effective than disease.
- In conclusion, estrogen and testosterone therapy by implantation of pellets is a safe and effective method of hormone therapy for both men and women. Long, continuous administration of hormones by pellets is convenient and economical for the patient. Pellet implantation has consistently proven more effective than oral, intramuscular, and topical hormone therapy with regard to bone density, sexual function, mood and cognitive function, urinary and vaginal complaints, breast health, lipid profiles, hormone ratios and metabolites)
Daily ibandronate was compared with placebo in 2,929 postmenopausal women with a prior vertebral fracture. (3) Treatment decreased the absolute risk of new, symptomatic, radiographically confirmed vertebral fracture from 5.3 to 2.8 percent over three years (absolute risk reduction 2.3 percent; number needed to treat = 43 for three years). (3) There was no difference in the likelihood of clinical nonvertebral fracture between placebo and ibandronate. The 2.5-mg daily and 150- mg monthly dosages of ibandronate were equivalent in terms of percent change in lumbar spine bone mineral density from baseline to one year. The effects of ibandronate on rates of hip fracture, death, and symptomatic vertebral fracture have not been assessed. (4) Data on the fracture prevention of ibandronate in patients with osteoporosis but without previous fracture are lacking. (5) No bisphosphonate has been compared with adequate doses of calcium and vitamin D. (5)
GO DIRECT TO DR. GLASER’S PDF:
WHAT FIGTREELIVE.COM THINKS
It is disturbing that the words “natural” and “bio-identical” are tossed around so cavalierly when, in fact, synthetic drugs are NOT natural OR bio-identical at all. Estradiol, Testosterone, and also Progestin, are synthetic hormone replacement drugs. They are included on the list of toxins on Prop 65 in California and they are known to cause cancer and other harmful effects.
I spoke with Dr. Helen Pensanti after emailing her the information from Dr. Glaser’s website, that presents her “pellets” as natural, which is false, and this subject has been discussed on the show once or twice. Estradiol and Testosterone, in this use, are not natural; they are synthetic. As she said previously, even though they are “low dose,” Dr. Helen would not use the pellets because they are surgically implanted for a period of months and those who have negative reactions to them are stuck with those implants until they wear off, OR are likely to be given another drug to offset the side-effects, OR the implant must be found (they can move throughout the body) and surgically removed.
Dr. Helen believes in using only natural, actual bio-identical products. They take time to work (usually 1-3 months) but they do not carry with them the side-effects of the synthetics, and they are actually natural (wild yam, red clover, vitex and other herbs) and something the body can actually recognize and use.
Why not post your question(s) to Dr. Helen in the Live Chat Forum at FIGTreeLive.com, under ASK DR HELEN Questions?
Natural Bio-Identical products from Helen Pensanti, MD:
Dr. Helen’s Blue label Bio-Identical Phyto PROGESTERONE cream OR Dr. Helen’s Red Label Bio-Identical PROGESTERONE w/RED CLOVER (apply TWICE per day; 1/4 tsp to an inner arm, inner thigh, breast, neck or fatty area of stomach – rotate application site with each application)
VITAL V vaginal salve; inserted vaginally daily to relieve dryness, pain, etc. contains all natural wild yam, vitex, comfrey, olive oil and beeswax.
Dr. Helen Pensanti’s WILD YAM & RED CLOVER Oil (roll twice on thighs every 12 hours daily).
Dr. Helen’s TESTOSTERONE CREAM for men; apply 1/2 teaspoon to inner thighs, inner arms or scrotum – rotate application site daily. BE SURE TO USE WITH Dr. Helen’s Blue label Bio-Identical Phyto PROGESTERONE and TESTRON oral for libido and to shrink the prostate.
To order from Dr. Helen’s office at discounted pricing!!! Must call & leave message at 800-301-1982 or email your order to firstname.lastname@example.org (include your telephone number) and be sure to mention you are a FIGTree LIVE member (formerly HealthTalk LIVE) (formerly HealthTalk LIVE) to get 20% off – they will call you back for credit card information and to confirm your order.
Dr. Glaser also discussed the use of the bisphosphonate osteoporosis drug, Boniva, and using HRT with it to aid with growing bones. Boniva and all bisphosphonates have been found to cause necrosis in the jaw and to increase fractures after the 4th or 5th year of use, so we would not recommend using them.
FOR OSTEOPOROSIS, in addition to one of Dr. Helen’s Bio-Identical Phyto progesterone creams, we recommend also using FIGTreeVitamins.com BONE-OSTEO BUILDER Package, which contains ONE BOTTLE FIGTree Vitamins Bone Support Tablets (240 count) and TWO BOTTLES Strontium Citrate, 680mg (60 Tablets. Suggested Use: Take two (2) Strontium tablets daily upon rising, on an empty stomach. Take four (4) Bone Support tablets daily at bedtime, on an empty stomach. IT IS IMPORTANT TO TAKE BEDTIME BONE SUPPORT IF TAKING STRONTIUM CITRATE; IT IS IMPORTANT TO USE THESE SUPPLEMENTS EXACTLY AS RECOMMENDED HERE.
The Bone-Osteo Builder Package is used by people concerned about Osteoporosis; it contains MCHA, the most highly absorbable form of calcium, and strontium to re-mineralize bones naturally without inhibiting proper bone growth and recycling. 1 MONTH SUPPLY
Get 10% off all products that FIGTree Vitamins carries every day using Coupon Code FTL10 during checkout; use the product links, or see all products at the FIGTREE VITAMINS STORE, or call Gary to order by telephone ~ 210-504-9906!
SHOW CALLER DISCOUNT:
Get 15% off PLUS free shipping, for three months, on all products that FIGTree Vitamins sells every day by calling the show, Wednesday through Saturday (844-855-2006) and get your own private/personalized Coupon Code to use during checkout; use the product links, or see all products at the FIGTREE VITAMINS STORE, or call Gary to order by telephone ~ 210-504-9906!
Whether or not you are able to use any of the suggestions above depends upon your health history, medications taken, surgeries and therapies, etc. FIGTreeLive.com sells no products; however, all members and listeners may purchase products at great discounted pricing from participating vendors!
If you have not already done so, please Register for a FREE MEMBERSHIP today; have full access to articles in the Reference Center, read and post in the Live Chat Forum, answer questions and get suggestions from our experts ~ let’s work toward natural health together!
Better yet, why not call the FIGTree Live Show when we are LIVE? Wednesday – Friday 2-2:30PM Eastern/11-11:30am Pacific, AND on Saturdays 1-2PM Eastern/10-11am Pacific – the toll-free telephone number is 844-855-2006 and Dee will answer your call, put you on hold (you will be able to hear the show while on hold) then the professionals on the FIGTree LIVE Show will ask questions and help you to incorporate natural healthy ideas into your daily regimen so you can get well. PLUS, when you call the show, you will receive THREE MONTHS FREE private, personalized email help anytime you need us, PLUS 15% off AND FREE SHIPPING when shopping at the FIGTREE VITAMINS STORE. We will give you your own coupon code to use during checkout, during your three months free period! All Members, as well as FIGTree LIVE listeners receive MEMBER DISCOUNTS from Participating Discount Vendors, such as FIGTreeVitamins.com, RenewLife, Dr. Helen and more (follow the links and learn how!)
Why not post your questions in the Live Chat Forum, under HEALTH CHAT, or call and speak with the health professionals on the FIGTree LIVE Show, Wednesdays – Fridays (2-2:30PM Eastern / 11-11:30am Pacific) and Saturdays (1-2PM Eastern /10-11am Pacific)?
All statements are the opinion of staff at FIGTreeLive.com and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All ideas provided are given based upon information provided, including all health experiences, therapies, surgeries, medications taken, etc., in the past, present or foreseeable future. John, Vicki, other FIGTreeLive.com staff, and anyone directly associated with the website, FIGTreeLive.com, are not responsible for negative or harmful side-effects you may experience as a result of ideas shared. No other company, person or entity is associated with FIGTreeLive.com, John, Vicki or any staff member; nor is there any association, obligation or interest between FIGTreeLive.com and sponsors, discount participants or advertisers, implied or otherwise, as having any association or agreement with views and opinions provided on FIGTreeLive.com. Prescription drugs have the potential for harmful side-effects, which may also be influenced by using nutritional supplements; please consult with your Medical Doctor and Pharmacist before using supplements of any kind. Only your Medical Doctor and Pharmacist are acquainted with your health issues and are able to diagnose your specific healthcare requirements. No one at FIGTreeLive.com is trained to diagnose and you should never self-diagnose in lieu of proper medical care and advice. Please avail yourself of all diagnostic testing available to you. Statements made may not have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. If you are exhibiting symptoms or have a health concern, we encourage you to contact your physician immediately.